High-speed connectivity is often unavailable from conventional providers you see in the TV ads in rural areas, however they probably will not tell you Redraw provides Internet to many of their top executives at home in those areas!
We all have different connectivity needs, although one is common to us all. High-speed and low-cost. We believe the location of your home or business, should have no effect on the quality and service available.
At RedRaw Internet, our range of connectivity choices are tailored for customers who live and work in even the most remote areas. You may be living in a area that conventional connectivity means cant or doesn’t cover, and just want a fast, reliable home broadband service, or you are a business or Public Sector looking for high-speed Dedicated Internet Access, and are looking for alternative options to reduce cost through Leased Line Replacement Services. Whatever your need, we have the solution.
RedRaw Internet are a Wireless Internet Service Provider (also known as a WISP), also the UK’s oldest rural internet provider. We count on wireless to deliver our services for it’s range of speed, flexibility and reliability. We use it in most parts of our network, from replacing dated copper lines to homes, to providing Business Resilience and ‘Leased line’ connections over fully licensed, Ethernet based wireless links.
So no matter where you are RedRaw can help.
What is a rural area?
The nature of the term ‘rural’ varies from place to place. It often refers to areas in the country concerned which are less densely populated. There are different types of rural areas, depending on how accessible they are from urban areas. These range from the rural urban fringe, to the extreme (remote) rural areas.
There are different types of rural areas, which can be classified according to how accessible they are to the urban areas.
Residents and Businesses in rural areas are struggling to get fast connectivity, some are unable to receive any connectivity at all. Others are being lumbered with less than 2Mbps speeds, making a lot of the ways we us use the internet on a day-to-day basis extremely frustrating, even impossible in some cases.
There are several issues affecting the delivery of fast broadband to homes and businesses in rural parts of the UK. So if fast broadband isn’t coming to you any time soon, contact us we may be able to help!
Key issues affecting rural connectivity
Long distances over old, copper-wire infrastructure
Copper wires used to carry standard (ADSL) broadband slow down your internet connection the further they have to travel from the telephone exchange to your home of office. The further you live or work from the exchange the slower your broadband will be. This is not so much of a problem in urban areas where exchanges serve so many properties, you tend not to be far from the nearest one. However in remote rural areas some homes are several miles from their local exchange. As a result, broadband speed tests have revealed speeds so slow they are easily confused with old-fashioned dial-up connections.
Bundled telephone exchanges
All telephone exchanges are owned by BT, but other phone and broadband providers such as Plusnet, Sky and TalkTalk are allowed to install their own equipment into exchanges so they can administer ADSL connections independently. This allows them both to offer improved speeds and to lower their prices. These exchanges are known as Local Loop Unbundled (LLU), or ‘unbundled’ exchanges.
Over 14% of businesses and homes in the UK are connected to a non-LLU or ‘bundled’ exchange, and the vast majority are in rural areas. In these cases other providers use BT’s wholesale equipment, meaning there’s little to differentiate them in terms of speed and cost. Some providers impose download limits or harsh fair use policies to customers on non-LLU exchanges. Non-LLU broadband packages are both more expensive, and far less available.
What’s being done to resolve these problems?
In 2011 the government set up the Broadband Delivery UK (BDUK) project with the aim of bringing superfast broadband to 95% of the country by 2017. Superfast broadband is defined as an internet connection of 24Mbps or above. For the remaining 5% of the country, the government aims to provide broadband with a speed of at least 2Mbps, none of this money came to Redraw so we funded what we have ourselves but still have coverage over many parts of the country and it is still growing
For sales information and enquiries contact us 01803 500009
No matter where you are RedRaw can help!

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *